Connect with us

News

Wayne Rooney surprised on his return to England squad

Published

on

Former England Wayne Rooney return to national team. Englands all-time goal scorer’s return have created divided opinion on whether it was a right call by Gareth Southgate.

“Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think the most important thing is, speaking with the FA (Football Association), we both felt it was right. The players obviously who I have spoken to, who the FA have spoken to, they agreed.

“I think it is right and I think, as a country, obviously we have not done anything like this before.

“It is the first time. I hope, in 10 or 15 years’ time, we’re sat here for someone, like Harry Kane, who could possibly go on and get the goalscoring record. Then it will be something that will happen again.”

Nobody has scored more goals for the national team, nor has any outfield player represented the ‘Three Lions’ more, but news of the 33-year-old’s one-off comeback appearance against the United States on Thursday (13th November) has still split opinion.

When asked about England performance in Russia World Cup…

“I thought they were excellent. First of all, the coaches got it spot on with the preparation. Obviously, there was a change in formation before the tournament and the players did more than maybe what people expected them to do.

“So, to go to the semi-final, it was a shame they couldn’t take that next step and get to the final, but certainly from my point of view watching from a different country.

“I had an enormous amount of pride watching them perform so well. It was really satisfying watching them surrounded by a lot of foreign players, foreign people, to know that your country is doing you proud.”

The debate over Rooney’s 120th and final cap dominated a packed media conference previewing the friendly, but the DC United forward brushed aside such questioning.

The English Football Association said the match against the United States was an opportunity to “honour” Rooney’s “record-breaking international career”.

Former goalkeeper Peter Shilton, England’s record appearance-maker with 125 caps, said caps should not “be given out like gifts” and that he was “surprised” England manager Gareth Southgate had allowed the one-off return.

The former Manchester United and Everton striker ended his international career in 2017 with 119 caps and a record 53 goals to his name.

The friendly against the United States gives Rooney the chance to do just that, while his commitment to his club side DC United in the MLS, means Thursday could be the last time he sets foot on a pitch in England.

He will appear as a second-half substitute in the game and said his only regret about not having that final game to say thank you to the fans, will now be fulfilled.

Striking the balance between being authoritative and humble, Rooney confirmed that he turned down the chance to bid farewell in England’s 2018 World Cup warm-up friendly against Nigeria.

Rooney praised the work being done by “fearless” Southgate, who he was captain under during the 48-year-old’s initial interim reign.

The 33-year-old was impressed and proud in equal measures when watching England’s run to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals – without Rooney, it was their best showing since 1990 – but there was no tinge of regret about calling time on his international career.

Rooney’s season in America came to an end with defeat in the MLS play-off, but he has previously ruled out a return to Europe during the off-season and he said he plans to finish his playing career in the United States.

 

News

Kenyans To Stop Using National IDs and Replace with Huduma Number.

Published

on

ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has announced that the government will phase out current National Identification cards by December 12, 2021.

The ICT CS has also added that the IDs will be replaced by Huduma Number where they will start to be issued on December 1, 2020.

The Cabinet Secretary was speaking in Machakos County during the commencement of issuance and distribution of Huduma Namba cards where the CS also stated that countrywide issuance of the Huduma Cards will commence on December 1, 2020.

President Uhuru Kenyatta and First Lady Margaret Kenyatta were handed samples of the new Huduma Number cards during the 11th Mashujaa Day, at the Gusii Stadium in Kisii County. The cards were handed over to the President and First Lady by Attorney General Paul Kihara.

President Uhuru Kenyatta and First Lady Margaret Kenyatta showcasing their Huduma Namba Cards.

President Uhuru Kenyatta and First Lady Margaret Kenyatta. Image Courtesy.

The Huduma Namba is expected to aggregate various government information sets ranging from NHIF, NSSF, birth details, driving license, KRA information, among others.

Children below the age of 18 will receive the Minors Huduma Namba Card while newborns will be required to be registered within 90 days after they are born and receive the cards upon attaining 6 years old where they will use it to enroll in school.

At time, the government had held it was ready to roll out the issuance of the cards but was awaiting the National Assembly to approve the appointment of a data commissioner, Immaculate Kassait. The former IEBC Director, Kassait was sworn in on Monday, November 16.

Continue Reading

News

Kenyan MPs Want Emergency Helicopters For Medical Evacuation.

Published

on

Following the death of Matungu MP Justus Murunga, which was blamed on the lack of oxygen in local hospitals, Members of Parliament have now demanded the house leadership to facilitate them with helicopters for evacuation in case of a medical emergency.

Hon. Justus Murungu collapsed on Saturday evening at his home in what was suspected to be Covid-19 complications after developing breathing difficulties.

The late MP was rushed to Matungu Sub-county Hospital in Kakamega County, where he was referred to St Mary’s Mission Hospital as he could not be admitted in the facility due to lack of oxygen. His conditioned worsened and succumbed while shuttling between the two facilities.

On Tuesday November 17, the National Assembly eulogised their colleague saying he could have survived had he received better healthcare promptly. Kwanza MP Ferdinand Wanyonyi said, “We are requesting and I have managed to talk to the Clerk of the National Assembly about this, that we be given a hotline number to helicopter services just in case.”

The MPs also pushed for suspension of hotel committee meetings to prevent spread of Covid-19 among MPs and that all meetings should be done within the Parliament premises as the rooms are sanitised regularly and observed by Ministry of Health officials.

National Assembly. Image Courtesy

National Assembly. Image Courtesy

Continue Reading

News

Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru Faces Eviction Over Ksh 44 Million Rent Arrears.

Published

on

Governor Anne Waiguru is fighting eviction from Ksh 80 Million Kitusuru House where she claims to be the rightful owner of the home.

The county boss on February went to court to challenge eviction notice from the landlord arguing she bought the house. Waiguru claims that she paid Ksh 40 million in cash for the house and had an agreement with a local bank to cover the balance of Ksh 40 million through a mortgage.

In the eviction notice, Kihingo Village Ltd, the developer inked a sale deal in September 2015 and asked Anne Waiguru to pay Ksh 80 million or vacate the property by February 29.

The former Devolution Cabinet Secretary claims Kihingo Village Ltd doesn’t have any right to evict her as she is the owner and not a tenant.

Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru, Image Courtesy.

Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru, Image Courtesy.

The developer has denied receiving payment from the governor saying she is a tenant and not the owner. The developer also claims the Governor has not paid rent for the last five years.

Kihingo Village Ltd, which is owned by ex-Tetu MP James Ndung’u Gethenji and his brother Gitahi Gethenji, wants Waiguru’s assets seized by auctioneers to pay for the rent accrued.

Justice Elijah Obaga issued temporary orders against the eviction and ordered the two parties to solve the rent dispute among themselves. Governor Waiguru through her lawyers has asked the court for permanent orders to halt the eviction.

The hearing has been scheduled for February 2021.

Continue Reading

News

Senators Reach Consensus To Approve Third Basis Revenue Sharing Formula.

Published

on

On Thursday, September 17, Senators unanimously voted to approve the third basis for sharing revenue among counties after a record 10 failed attempts to reach a consensus. All the 41 senators present in the House on the afternoon session voted to approve the formula.

From the proposed formula, no county loses revenue allocation.

The motion for approval of the Third Basis Formula for Revenue Allocation among County Governments has be carried. The Ayes 41, Abstention 0, Nays 0,” Senate Speaker Kenneth Lusaka announced.

The Moses Wetangula and Johnstone Sakaja chaired 12 member committee that was tasked with a win-win formula had reached a consensus on the formula and briefed the rest of the house before the official sitting.

Image

The proposed formula takes into account eight parameters; Basic share (20%), Population (18%), Health (17%), Poverty Level (14%), Agriculture (10%), Roads (8%), Land (8%) and Urban (5%).

In the new formula, Nairobi is the gains the highest amount with Ksh 3.3 billion. This will push it’s total allocation to Ksh 19 billion. Nakuru gains Ksh 2.5 billion, Kiambu Ksh 2.2 billion, Turkana Ksh 2 billion and Kakamega Ksh 1.9 billion. Tharaka Nithi is gaining the least amount of Ksh 289 million.

The Council of Governors through its Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya (Kakamega Governor) released a statement making a treat to shutdown operations in the counties stating it had been occasioned by lack of resources after senators failed to agree on the revenue sharing formula.

Continue Reading

News

Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi To Remain Behind Bars For Seven More Days.

Published

on

Oscar Kipchumba Sudi appeared before Nakuru Chief Magistrate Josephat Kalu on Wednesday, where he is charged with hate speech, offensive conduct, resisting arrest, being in unlawful possession of a firearm and assault of a police officer.

The legislator will now remain in police custody for 7 more days pending completion of investigations into allegations against him.

Sudi had already spent two days behind bars at the Nakuru Central police station pending a bail application ruling.

Before his arrest, the Kapseret MP insisted he had insulted no one and would not apologise.

Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi Photo Courtesy

The National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) and the police who are the prosecutors made an application in court seeking to hold Sudi for 14 days to conclude investigation. The prosecution said the MP is a flight risk having failed to surrender himself soon after he learnt he was being sought by the police. These claims were opposed by the accused lawyers who include Gladys Shollei(Uasin Gishu Women Representative) and Kipkoech Ng’etich.

Some leaders came to show solidarity with Sudi at the Nakuru law Courts. The leaders present included Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika, MPs Kimani Ngunjiri, Aisha Jumwa (Malindi), William Cheptumo (Baringo North), Charles Kamuren (Baringo south) and Caleb Kositany (Soi).

Continue Reading

Trending